Colin & Noelle

Colin & Noelle


CURRENT TIME IN ETHIOPIA.



Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Post-Adoption Photos by Jamie Abitz Photography


If you read our post on cocooning, you know that the plan has been for us to stay at home as much as possible during the first few months home with our new baby boy, in an attempt to bond.

However, we also realize that we missed so much of B’s early life, and he’s only going to get bigger from here. We knew we wanted to capture our new family of 3 in the early stages, and we knew just who to ask: our kindhearted friend, Jamie, at Jamie Abitz Photography.

Jamie (who also took our pre-adoption photos back in 2012) was a natural choice. We had worked with her before, she takes beautiful shots, she is great with kids, and she is so super sweet and supportive of adoption!


When we asked her, our original intent was to go outdoors (seriously - go check out her portfolio on her website!), but we were between ideas as to where to go. We loved the idea of an outside shoot, but with still cocooning and B’s ability to be easily distracted and overwhelmed, we also needed a place where he would feel comfortable. Jamie had a brilliant idea – why not at home?! Or as Jamie referred to it, a “lifestyle” shoot. B was definitely not his full self with a new face around, but he was so much more at ease than I know he would have been in unfamiliar territory.



 I cannot recommend Jamie enough. And if you are a newly home with a child you've adopted, and are attempting to cocoon – I want to encourage you to ask about an at home, lifestyle type of photo session. I wanted photos to remember this time – and the truth of it is, that “this time” in our life is mostly at home. So naturally, shouldn't the photos be done here as well? Don’t I want to capture B’s true self? The B who is obsessed with dancing around, hugging his stuffed fox he loves so much, and crawling through the table and chair legs? Isn't this the B I want to remember, especially when he is grown and more serious and more ready to “pose” for the camera? Don’t get me wrong – I love posed photo shoots. But as I see how well it went for B that day, and how great the photos turned out, I am so thankful to have lasting memories that show off his true spirit. And for that, I am so thankful.





Thank you, Jamie, for all you have done for us.

Thank for preserving these memories for us.

Thank you for all of your support in our adoption,
and for coming up with a plan that would fit our family’s needs, while still allowing us a fantastic and true-to-life session!  






1 comment:

  1. How beautiful! I love that little boy's smile so much. He looks like such a sweetheart :) I'm so glad it worked out for you two. I myself am not looking to adopt, but I have some good friends who have tried for years to have a baby and are now resorting to adoption. They would make the best parents, so here's hoping it works out as good for them as it has for you. Thanks for sharing!

    http://www.achildsdream.org/state-by-state/nevada.html

    ReplyDelete